1. The Joyous Havanese by Kathryn Braund (Phoebe’s breeder!)
Probably only available online. You can Google it. A great all around guide to everything from the history of the breed to the steps of breeding to raising puppies. It then goes into the colors, the care of a puppy, grooming health issues and a little about performance events.
2. The Havanese by Diane Klumb with Joanne Baldwin DVM. Besides giving the breed’s history there is helpful information about choosing a puppy, getting off on the right foot, crating, potty training, feeding, grooming and more. This book is from a vet’s perspective as well as a breeder’s so it is more detailed in that regard.
3. For the Love of A Dog by Patricia B. McConnell, PhD. This is a recent publication that goes into ‘reading’ your dog’s facial Author has also written ‘The Other End of the Leash.’
4. The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey is a great book that focuses only on the puppy stage of your dog’s life. Some chapter topics are the developmental stages and how to deal with them, housebreaking, socializing, toys and games, handling and grooming, discipline and how puppies learn.
5. Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard Pitcairn, DVM and Susan Hubble Pitcairn is, as the title implies, a holistic approach to many dog and cat health issues from creating a basic natural diet, creating a healthier environment for your pet, selecting a healthy pet, caring for the sick animal. It also gives a quick reference guide to many ailments including allergies, appetite issues, bladder problems and more.
Two more I like are:
6. Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy R. Schultze.
7. How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren